Wednesday, 22 May 2013

Quick and Simple Knits for Babies and Children - Book Review

As is usual with my book reviews, I was sent this book for free by the lovely people at F&W Media, the UK distributors. And as is also usually the case, this book is aimed firstly at the very much larger USA market.

The title is a little confusing, Quick and Simple, yes, but only for the experienced knitter, simple in the dictionary definition "not complex", but if you are a beginner to this wonderful world of knitting, please dont be fooled into thinking that simple is the same as easy.

As stated on the outside front cover, this book contains 8 Designs from Up-and-Coming Designers


and very attractive designs they are, too.



Every design has a full page, full colour photograph of the finished project, and all the patterns are printed in an easy to read typeface, with, in most cases, a fully detailed, with dimensions, plan of the finished shape


and, where necessary, i.e. for colour changes or for cable stitching, a grid is also included.


I like this book, and I expect that over time I shall knit some of the designs for my two granddaughters. My only criticism is the usual one and that is that the general knitting information, which includes US/UK terminology and abbreviations, is at the back of the book - I would really like to see them at the front so that the reader/knitter is fully aware that they are included.

The list price for this book is £6.99, but you can purchase it here for only £6.73 plus postage.


1 comment:

Heather Leavers said...

I agree about the US/UK thing! something I discovered with my latest review is that it's worth checking online for errata. It hadn't occurred to me before, but I spotted a bit in my pattern that just didn't work. Being an experienced knitter I just adapted it so that it *did* work...but then checked online. Lo and behold, it was a known error - and I was very pleased to see that my intuitive correction was what they recommended. Who'd know to do that though?