Monday, 30 December 2013

Twixmas Picnic

Yesterday I discovered a new word, Twixmas, which, for me, beautifully and succinctly describes that period between Christmas and the New Year, before the world gets back to normal. My thanks go to Amanda at Graham's Landing for introducing me to this lovely new addition to my vocabulary.

Also yesterday, as it was a bright and sunny day, and as the forecast for today was (rightly) very wet and windy, GM and I decided to take a drive out into the countryside and take a picnic lunch with us. We found a lovely little spot just off the A350, south of Longbridge Deverill, only about 3 miles from home, where we could park up and enjoy the view while eating our sarnies.


As you can see, the fields are very wet and muddy, even at the top of the hill.


While we were eating, our attention was drawn to some others who were also about to enjoy their lunch.


After the hay bail on the rear of the tractor had been distributed, the driver then filled the two metal feeders with the other two bails, but I was so fascinated by watching how he did it that I didn't take any photos.

The cattle then went back to grazing, they seemed to be positioned almost in a straight line,


and the farmer appeared to be walking up the hill, stopping every now and again to move something.


By this time, we had eaten our lunch and were beginning to feel a bit cool, even though the sun was shining, so we decided it was time to make our way back homewards, but I asked GM to stop near the cattle so I could get a close-up shot, and then we realized what the farmer had been doing . . .


. . . he had been moving the electric fence so as to allow the cattle access to fresh grazing.

We both feel very priviliged to live in such a beautiful area of the country, and even more so to learn about country life by our observations. This was a Sunday lunchtime and life for farm workers carries on no matter what the calendar says and the weather does. These cattle, with their tagged ears, will one day grace someone's dinner plate, so a huge Thank You to all those who work tirelessly, 365 days of the year, to provide food for us.

9 comments:

Tracy said...

Twixmas is a brilliant word isn't it, your drive out looked wonderful and refreshing xx

KC'sCourt! said...

Perfect word 'twixmas' first time I seen it this year, I too will add it to my vocabulary!
Lovely idea a winter picnic, I was thinking of doing the same.......just got to get organised! Now I'm retired perhaps I can get myself better organised now, she says hopefully!
I see you like us come from Essex, whereabouts?
Julie xxxxxxxxxx

kristieinbc said...

You were brave to go on a picnic in December! I love the word Twixmas. Thanks for expanding my vocabulary!

Chrissys for Cards said...

Well said joy.

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

Twixmas is a new word for me and I love it. Will have to remember to use it.
How fun to have a winter picnic. It's way to cold here to have one.
Wishing you a Happy New Year!

Patricia said...

Love it and it fits the bill perfectly. I always feel in limbo at this time of the year and looking forward to getting back to normal again. Happy New Year Joy
Patricia s

karen said...

A wonderful way to spend your lunchtime. X

Eileen T said...

I'll add Twixmas to my vocabulary list. Happy New
Year, Joy.

Maria Ontiveros said...

I'm totally appropriating that word as well!
Rinda