Monday, 6 January 2014

6/365 and thank you . . .

. . . to all those of you who commented on my blogpost about responding to comments on blogposts, just goes to show that we all do things in different ways.

Last summer I made a tentative start on the 5/2 diet, except that mine was a personalised variation on the feasting/fasting regime. I wasn't happy about fasting, as I know that having low blood sugar levels makes me feel very weak, so instead I decided that for two days each week I would go low calorie, meat and alcohol free. Well I did this on and off for a few months, no great weight losses, but a little here and there, which was at least a start and heading in the right direction. Then along came the pre-christmas season, with bad weather, which meant staying indoors, mince pies, bottles of Baileys etc. etc. and any thought of going alcohol free went right out of the window. So now, here I am, in the first full week of January, having put back all the lost weight, and a little bit more, so that my current weight is almost the highest it's ever been.

I don't go along with new years resolutions, but I do go along with the idea that a new year brings about new beginnings, and with that in mind I'm going to give my version of the 5/2 diet another go. My "fast" days will be Monday and Thursday each week, and they will be alcohol free, meat free and fairly low calorie, but with three meals during the course of the day. Here is today's lunch, about 250 calories worth of Branston pickle, low sugar baked beans, coleslaw and pickled red cabbage with lettuce, tomatoes, cress and cucumber hidden underneath. It was yummy.


This evening I'll be having a Linda McCartney's sausage, will let you know what they are like tomorrow. As our weigh day is wednesday I shall keep you updated each week with my loss (and I'll keep schtum if I dont lose!).

9 comments:

Mum said...

It's so hard - keep on persevering as lots of little losses add up to one big one.
Love from Mum
xx

Chrissys for Cards said...

Christmas has not been very kind to my waistline either, but until all the naughty nibbles have gone, I have just upped the swimming a bit. I like the no alcohol and no meat idea, but low calorie - erm, I guess chocolate is out then!!

Jean said...

Me too Joy. I bought my 2014 diary today (£1 off ) and will jump onto scales tomorrow. Well, tentatively step on probably. Then back to 5.2
Good Luck x

Miriam said...

Catching up with you, what a lovely encouraging mum comment. It is so hard to loose weight isn't it? I have4 a 5 on 5 post ready, perhaps best not look though Joy, it has custard in it!

karen said...

Sounds like a good plan to me, hope it works for you. xx

Sandie said...

I've been doing the 5:2 plan too Joy. I lost nearly a stone but put on over Christmas, like you I am now refocusing. On my 5:2 days I usually miss breakfast, have homemade vegetable soup for lunch and an evening meal that all comes to around the 500 cals suggested. It works for me, and I hope to maintain by using ideas from SW in between. I have been eating what ever I want and this means my two fast days aren't so effective because I can undo any good work achieved! Good luck you your own efforts.

Borqna said...

The food looks great and delicious!

Borqna said...

I read your blog with great interest - I also do diet now.
Thanks for sharing this with us!

Tracy said...

I really need to try this but am finding my lack of motivation, the cold wet weather a bit of an obstacle! Well done on starting your 5:2 eating plan again x