Tuesday, 7 January 2014

7/365

Once again, many thanks for all those of you who commented on my posts of yesterday, I'm relieved that I'm not the only one who needs to start over on the weight loss - I don't feel quite such a failure! With regard to my 5 on 5, and this really applies to most of my photography, these days and most especially through the long winter months, I tend to spend a lot of time at home and indoors so if I want to take photos then they have to be photos inside home, so I'm forever looking around to see what I can snap next!

I also mentioned yesterday that I was going to have a Linda McCartney (vegetarian) sausage for tea, well in fact, as they were only 100 calories each I had two!!!! (with a small dollop of mashed potato and some spring greens). I've had vegetarian sausages before, (DO is vegetarian so when I stay with him and his family I am not fed any meat products), and I have to say that in the past I've always found them pretty uninspiring, but these ones were really nice, I think the trick is that they weren't pretending to taste like meat, if you get my meaning. The texture was pleasant, they had a distinctive, slightly sweet, taste all of their own and I would be quite happy to eat them again at some stage.

However, they weren't all that photogenic, so instead here are a pair of my very own homemade BEEF burgers, sizzling away nicely in the pan, that I cooked for GM and GT. Even if I say it myself, I'm pretty proud of my home-made burgers, they are heaps tastier than anything shop-bought, and have NEVER contained any horsemeat or anything other than butchers best mince, onions (red, in this batch), herbs, seasoning, a touch of oatbran and an egg to bind (thats one egg for each batch of 6). To complete the picture it would be really nice if I could add a link to a scratch and sniff option, but, well heyho, you can't have everything.




8 comments:

karen said...

I have had Linda's sausages before and they aren't bad. Have to agree those beefburgers do look very good. xx

Chrissys for Cards said...

Well done for making a start. We prefer home made burgers too, not that we have them very often. The weather is totally rubbish and like you have not ventured far.

Ellie Foster said...

Dear Joy
Being a vegetarian myself, I have found that the quality of veggie sausages ranges hugely. However, all the ones I have tried are improved by browning in the pan and then being popped in the oven with onion gravy to braise. They are delicious with mash and peas!
Best wishes
Ellie

Borqna said...

Bravo!
Have a nice day!

Sandie said...

I make home made burgers too - in fact I try and make most things myself, like you I like to know what's in my food. Vegetarian sausages just don't do it for me, I'd rather go without. Good job I'm not a vegetarian though I do love good vegetarian food. I have a lovely recipe for lentil lasagne in fact I've not made it in ages. I might just add to it my menu for next week!

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

I guess I'm only familiar with home made burgers - didn't know there were any other kind. We like to grill a lot in the summer and burgers are always a favorite. Tonight is a leftover casserole and a green salad - I love leftovers too.

Miriam said...

I'm a 'from scratch' cook too but I only make burgers in the summer so that I can cook them on the BBQ. I have never thought about making and cooking them at any other time... They do look good Joy.

Kimberley Atkinson said...

We do a lot of cooking from scratch including mince patties - I have never eaten a processed one in fact. Oh yikes - horse meat???!!!!