Sunday, 7 December 2014

Happy Days 341/365 and Advent Calendar Day 7

One of GMs and my favourite smells of remembered Christmases past is that of hyacinths, and for more years than I care to recall I have tried to replicate that by growing hyacinths that bloom at Christmas - but without any luck, usually they flower early January. This year I was even more determined than ever so I bought these in September,


I've scribbled the date I planted them, and on the back of the label you can see clearly . . .



. . . it says "planted by mid-October, these . . . . . in bloom by Christmas".


I don't think so - yet another epic fail. Next year I think I'll buy them in December in flower rather than attempt to grow my own.

5 comments:

KC'sCourt! said...

They might grow if you put them in the light
Always buy in December from the local market and the smell at Christmas is delicious and they last right through to mid-Janaury
Julie xxxxx

joy said...

They are now on the dining table under the anglepoise lamp for 12 hours each day, but I'm pretty sure they wont grow quick enough to flower by 25th or thereabouts.

Ethel Johnson said...

What a shame but something to look forward to in mid winter. I have a Christmas cactus that's flowering now but it's pink so doesn't look festive and no perfume.xx

Rustic Vintage Country said...

I've never been that good at growing these, BUT hubs this year has given it a go and he seems to have done good and they are looking healthy. Not sure if they'll flower for Christmas though, finger crossed. xx

moonstruckcreations said...

Hopefully these will be a lovely treat in the new year.

Helenxx