Saturday, 3 January 2015

Review

Later this month my blog will be celebrating its 5th birthday! An amazing amount has happened to me, and been featured in this blog, over the past five years.

When I first started writing this blog we had only been in Wiltshire for about 18 months and now we've been here for six and a half years - we've never regretted the move, we always knew it would be a one-way ticket but we have loved (almost) every moment of our time here. We started out (after a brief interim period in Trowbridge) in Devizes, a lovely town with Wadworth's Brewery, Caen Hill Locks, the Kennet and Avon Canal and a weekly market in the Market Square and the indoor Shambles. But, much as we loved Devizes, there were downsides. The house we bought needed a lot more updating and improving than we had at first thought, there was a lot of new house building close by, the traffic gridlock in town was worsening by the week and to cap it all, our next-door neighbour turned out to be a paranoid schizophrenic - or, at the very least, an unpleasant and confrontational person, so we made the quite difficult decision to move again. After a long and involved process which took from May 2011 until April 2012, we ended up here in Warminster in our dream home, where we have now been for almost 3 years.

When I first started writing my blog our younger two sons, GO and GT, were both still at University, one in Bristol and one in Bournemouth. They are now both settled in full-time employment and living away from home.

When I first started writing my blog I had two grandsons, I now also have three granddaughters and another grandchild due in April.

When I first started writing this blog GM was working full-time, he is now enjoying retirement.

When I first started writing this blog my emphasis was mostly on my knitting (long time readers will remember it was called Joyknitt until after our house move), and now the emphasis is mostly on photography.

And those are just a few of the bigger things that have happened.

When I first started writing this blog I had no idea of where it was going, I had no idea of who was going to read it, if anyone, and I certainly had no idea that by now I would have 188 followers, have had almost 100,000 page views, and have made so many virtual friends - several of whom have now become real life friends.

So all that remains for me to say is a huge thankyou to everyone who has been a part of my life, both real and virtual, for the past five years, and here's looking forward to the next five.


4 comments:

yvonne said...

Wow well done and looks like life has been pretty good x
Keep blogging x

Mum said...

I'll stay here with you for the next part of the journey.
xx

Tracy said...

Happy blogiversary Joy, it's been wonderful to share your journey over the past five years and I'm so pleased to have become one of your real life friends. I'm looking forward to sharing the next five years with you x

Starnitesky said...

Hi Joy, thanks for visiting my blog, yes in terms of the UK we are fairly close, I am on the outskirts of Shepton Mallet. When we visited the White Horse I was very surprised to find it was so close. Congrats on your 5 years of blogging, I look forward to the next 5 years!
Take care, Barbara