Sunday, 8 February 2015

Cod and Mediterranean vegetable tray bake.

I joined Slimming World at the beginning of the year and have so far lost 3lbs in 4 weeks, which is a good start, particularly as I have been to visit cousins in Devon and a 90th birthday celebration, had lunch out with a friend, and also celebrated 28 years of being together with GM - all of which involved diet-busting food and various amounts of alcohol. But with those occasions now behind me I can focus my concentration on the Slimming World food optimising plan - not so much a diet as a plan to eat as much as one likes of the right foods and as little as possible of the wrong ones.

While I was at the weekly meeting on Thursday I purchased the latest edition (Mar/Apr) of Slimming World magazine, and having a good read when I got home I found a really interesting recipe that was worth a try, especially as we had planned to have cod for tea on Saturday anyway. Here (courtesy of above mentioned publication) is the recipe:


The stated quantities provide enough for four people, but as I only had three pieces of cod in the freezer I altered the amounts of the ingredients slightly to take this into account, and as there are only the two of us eating there will be a single portion left for freezing.


GO had given me a really good all-purpose kitchen knife for my birthday last year, and this was just the beast for the job of chopping up the vegetables.


Peppers (I used red and half a green that I had in the fridge although the recipe called for red and yellow), onions and the courgette were all roughly chopped, and the baby tomatoes were halved, and spread on the base of a foil-lined roasting tin


and then popped in the oven (fan 220C) for 15 minutes. While this was happening I chopped up the two cloves of garlic (the recipe suggested four but I would say that two were more than enough).


The partially roasted vegetables were removed from the oven


and the rest of the ingredients added - three pieces of cod fillet, chopped garlic, a drained tin of borlotti beans, salt, pepper and vinegar and the tomato paste.


I made a mistake with the quantity of the tomato paste, and added double the amount needed but it did no harm to the finished dish, which came out of the oven (again fan 220C) after 20 minutes.


Serve with vegetables of your choice - I had baby potatoes - and enjoy


Absolutely delicious, this is definitely something we'll try again, the only difference being that I'll double check all the amounts of ingredients before adding!

This is a totally syn-free meal, and can also be eaten as part of the Extra Easy SP option.


6 comments:

Eileen T said...

I like the sound of this recipe and will give it a try out during half term. I'll probably cook the full amount and freeze the three extra portions.

Well done Joy, keep the SW recipes coming!

Fat Dormouse said...

I'm not a great fish fan, but I think this would work just as well with chicken, or pork. I ought to go back to my SW recipe books, I think, from time to time. They are some good things in them (some slightly odd ones too!)

Crafty in the Med said...

Sounds and looks totally delicious!! We eat lots of fish but I haven't done a decent veggie dish for awhile!!! Going to give it a try!

keep well

Amanda xx

Mum said...

I'l go with this recipe - looks and sounds delish.
xx

viv said...

The recipe looks good. Might try it myself even though I am not weight watching I do like healthy eating

Patricia said...

I love fish but find it quite bland and dry on occasions. This sounds a good alternative and as you say syn free. I haven got this months mag yet, so thanks. P x