Friday, 27 March 2015

New chairs for old?

Well, not quite. GM and I both have the same desk chairs, his in his office, mine in my studio.

This is what GM's chair looked like,


and mine,


not quite as worn as his, but well on the way.

Basically the chairs are still sound, and comfortable, and replacing them seemed to be a bit of an extravagance, so he asked me if it was possible for me to cover them, and, always willing to rise to a challenge, I agreed to give it a go.

I sorted through my fabric stash to see if I had anything that would be suitable. I found some stripy fabric that I had bought, probably in the early 90s, to make some kitchen blinds - which clearly didn't happen. By a process of pinning and stitching I came up with this back cover.


Nice, he said, but too bright. Did we have anything darker? No, I said, but I can dye it any colour you like. Brown? Why not?

One week later and we now have chairs which look like this.



Yes, I know I could have ironed them a bit better than I did, but heyho, no-one's going to see them except us, are they?

1 comment:

Jean said...

........and all of your blogging fans! Well done on recycling Joy.