Wednesday, 6 May 2015

Five on the fifth, a birthday treat

It just so happens that yesterday, 5th May, was my birthday. I'm not going to say how old I am now, only that I feel about half the number of years inside my head!

My five photos were taken over slightly longer than 5 minutes, but Sandie knows by now that I always break the "rules".

We took a bus trip to Salisbury, and headed straight for the Cathedral, which I've always known has the tallest church spire in the UK, and have often seen from a distance, but never visited before.


In order to get where we wanted to be, we took a walk through the cloisters . . .


. . . until we reached the Chapter House, an octagonal building with the most amazing stained glass windows on all sides.


Inside the Chapter House was what I can only describe as a tent-like structure,


and inside this "tent", was the reason for our visit, an old piece of paper.


Not just any old paper though, this 800 year old piece of paper has a significance that stretches beyond history into the present times and into the constitution of many free countries of the western world. It is, of course, one of only 4 surviving copies of Magna Carta. It was only earlier this year, when the 800th anniversary was celebrated, that I became aware that this copy was so close to home, and I was determined to see it. It is written in Latin, and the writing is very small, so it was very difficult, well virtually impossible, to make any sense of it, but just to be there, looking at it, gave me an immense thrill and a funny feeling inside. I would urge anyone who believes in the power of the people to change things they don't like, just go and see this amazing piece of our history.

On a lighter touch, as it was my birthday and I'm feeling generous, you get an extra couple of photos.

Here is my birthday ice cream


and another birthday treat for me, for the first time since uploading my pedometer I managed to pass the 10,000 step mark.


Please visit Sandie's blog itchifingers to find out how to join in and to read other 5 in 5 entries.

4 comments:

Ellie Foster said...

Dear Joy
Happy Birthday! Salisbury is a lovely place - we visited when we were camping at Old Sarum (many years ago now). There is a copy of the Magna Carta at Lincoln too and the Castle, where it is housed, has undergone massive renovations to provide a suitable museum space for such a precious document. I haven't been to see it in its new home yet though. It's on my list of things to do...
Best wishes
Ellie

Maggie said...

Happy Birthday Joy! We have visited Salisbury cathedral a few times in recent years. My favourite is the font in the centre of the cathedral. It gives the most remarkable reflections.

Maggie said...

Lovely pictures by the way!

Fat Dormouse said...

I've just got myself a pedometer...I'm not doing as well as you though!
I love Salisbury and have happy memories of visiting there when at college in Winchester.