Wednesday, 13 May 2015

Wisteria

Just outside the back door in front of the kitchen window, we have a raised deck with a pergola, and growing over the pergola are two wisterias. Since we arrived here in April 2012 we have done little more than cut back most of the new growth each year. These two photos were taken exactly a year ago.



As you can see, the flowers look quite spectacular, but the stems have just grown wildly higgledy piggledy. Back in December of last year, GM showed me this article


. . . which made me realize that in order to have a really, really amazing show from our wisteria we really needed to do some work on it. So, on a dry and not too cold day in February this year we donned plenty of warm clothing, and armed with the right weapons (I mean tools) for the job, we set to work. You can read all about it here.

GM was convinced that we'd gone too far, but I had a little more faith than that, we have now been rewarded with a half-decent show of flowers this year,



and the knowledge of how to train and cut for even better showings in years to come.

I am aware that wisteria, along with laburnum, has poisonous seeds, so you can rest assured that all of the seed pods are removed as soon as the flowers have finished, posing no risk to visiting grandchildren.

p.s. Just look at that lovely blue sky, make the most of it, it's forecast to rain again tomorrow.

5 comments:

Mama Syder said...

Your garden must smell amazing when its in bloom. There is a house across the road from me who's wisteria looks very similar to the one in the paper cutting, and I take in deep breaths of scent as I walk past. I have often slowed right down to enjoy it xxx

eileeninmd said...

I love the wisteria, just beautiful. Enjoy your day!

Ellie Foster said...

Dear Joy

Lovely wisteria! The flowers are so beautiful. It looks as though you made a very good job with the pruning too.
Enjoy the weather
Best wishes
Ellie

Homemaking Tales said...

I love the Wisteria, the house, we have a house in our village it almost looks like the one in the newspaper article.

Sol said...

What a beautiful view from your window. I am hoping to add one to our house.