Monday, 13 June 2016

Subject to Contract

Most Bank Holiday Mondays are spent by us being pretty lazy - we don't venture out on the roads, preferring instead to stay still at home rather than in a traffic jam, but this year the Whitsun bank holiday was a slightly different one for us. Purple Bricks had sent us the final draft of the advert of our house, ready to go live on Rightmove, all we had to do was click the send button, which, with a huge sense of occasion, GM and I duly did together. We cheersed each other with our respective alcoholic beverages - lager for him and red wine for me. Then we sat down to our evening meal and told each other that we weren't to expect miracles, we had to be patient, it might take months, blahdiblah.

Tuesdays are busy for both of us, he plays bridge in the morning and visits an old friend for lunch and a natter, I spend the day on reception at the local MS Therapy Centre so we were both out and about until 3.30 on that particular day. He arrived home slightly ahead of me, and in his usual order of things he first changed out of his shoes into his slippers, fed the cat and poured himself a beer. Having then seen to all the important things, he checked his emails. I arrived soon afterwards and was greeted with "So, how many requests to view do you think we've had today?". Knowing that we weren't to expect miracles, we had to be patient, it might take months, blahdiblah I had a quick think and blythely replied "Oh my goodness, I'll bet we wont have any yet awhile".

Wrong!!! We had had three! Three requests from house hunters all wishing to view our house the following day!!

Wednesday dawned, breakfast was eaten, beds were made, dishes done, loo seats lowered, waste bins emptied, windowsills wiped, drying racks hidden from view, windows opened, fresh flowers picked, and by 9.15 I was on my way to spend the morning with GT, while GM was left at home to field viewings at 9.30, 11.00 and 12.30. The poor man just about managed to stagger, exhausted, to Wetherspoons by 13.15. and by 16.30 we had had an offer from the 11.00 viewers. The offer was too low, so was batted straight back to Purple Bricks to negotiate on our behalf.

After a very exhausting day GM slept like a babe, I was far too excited and spent most of the night in a wakeful state of excitement and a "will they, wont they?" frame of mind.

Thursday morning and it wasn't long before we had the call, they had raised their offer to the full asking price, they were in a good position to proceed as they already had a buyer for their house, so it really was a no-brainer. By Thursday lunch-time our house was sold, subject to contract.

Which now left us in a bit of a predicament - we needed to find somewhere to buy, pretty dam pronto. The afternoon was spent making appointments to view properties the following Monday (I had a long standing and non-negotiable family visit planned for the weekend), one at 9.30, one at 10.30, another at 11.30 then a break for lunch and a couple more in the afternoon. Friday and the weekend passed in a blur of speeding along the A303, grandchildren hugging, train travelling through London in both directions, ageing parent caring, eating and sleeping, until I arrived back home, exhausted on Sunday evening.

GM very kindly agreed to do the major part of the driving, so, on Monday morning, armed with various maps, lists and a rigid timetable, we set off at 7.30am and headed for our target area, duly arriving (after a brief cuppa at the Rownham Services on the M27), just in time for our first viewing. This was another day that passed in a bit of a blur for me, but I do remember that one of the appointments was cancelled due to the house having been sold (STC) over the weekend, and of the other four that we looked at, three of them were out of the question for various reasons. BUT the other one, the second house we viewed, was almost practically perfect in every way.

On Tuesday we put in an offer, which was accepted by Wednesday lunchtime, thus we have agreed to purchase a house, subject to contract.

It has taken me this long to be able to recall the sequence of events and place them all in the right order. Am I excited? Well, what do you think?

And now, of course, our sellers need to find themselves a property, and heaven help us if the chain goes beyond them - we mustn't expect miracles, we have to be patient, it might take months, blahdiblah.


Mum said...

Oh wow - Speedy or what? Hope the next bit goes just as fast.

Eileen T said...

It's fantastic news, Joy. Keeping my fingers crossed that the whole process goes smoothly this time.

Lovely to see you again today. x

Busy Little Chicken said...

Hello Joy! Wow, that was quick! I feel quite excited for you, and am looking forward to seeing your new home :) Good luck with it all, hope it runs smoothly xx

helena said...

my goodness - hope all completes with no hassle

Karen Butfield said...

Wow I have just read all this what fantastic news and so quick, hope it all goes to plan. xx