Friday, 16 June 2017

Mother Nature and new build

I'm not really sure how to describe the grassy patch that is currently the back garden. It certainly isn't a lawn and I don't suppose it ever will be, it wasn't turfed, as the soil is still very stony and chalky, so I guess the grass was probably grown from seed a couple of years ago when the house was first occupied. It had no TLC from the previous owner so it has just evolved. I love it the way it is, Mother Nature has taken it over, and I'm delighted to discover that there is plenty of natural diversity in this tiny little patch of Hampshire which only a couple of years ago was just a building site, a couple of years before that was farmland and probably before that was open moorland.











I've cleared about 75% of the raised bed and have thus far planted a fig tree, a couple of tomato plants and some runner beans, but I decided to leave this end wild for the rest of the season.

1 comment:

Eileen T said...

It's looking good, Joy. Are you planning to leave the grass as it is or will you eventually lay a new lawn?