Pages

Wednesday 23 May 2012

Getting to know you

Now that the weather has taken a turn for the better, I've had a chance to get out and make friends with my new garden, and as I wandered around looking at everything I couldn't help but sing to myself - the lyrics from the song "Getting to know you" (sung by Julie Andrews in The Sound of Music) seemed so appropriate.

I love my new garden, I really do. Its not very big, although it starts out quite wide at the back of the house, it tapers off almost to a point, so that at the other end, away from the house, its only about 10' wide, but its certainly big enough for all our needs.

Just outside the back of the house is a fantastic pergola over a decking patio, and we've already eaten several meals there, its just such a lovely spot, in the sunshine, listening to the birdsong.







There is wisteria, which is just opening out, and some honeysuckle, although I'm not completely sure about the dominant growth, I think it just might be winter jasmine - if thats the case it should be in its full fabulous yellow glory next February!

I've started off some seeds on the conservatory windowsill, radishes, spring onions, and lettuce,



there's a bag outside where I'm growing potatoes,



pots with runner beans and dwarf beans,



and another pot in which I've sown some carrot seeds.



I took several cuttings from my fig tree last autumn, but only one of them survived the winter and the move :-(  - although I suppose one is better than none :-)



Here's one of a couple of tomato plants I bought last week . . .




. . . and here's one I bought earlier.


I hope you've enjoyed the introduction to my garden, I'll no doubt be showing lots more as the season progresses.

8 comments:

Chrissy C said...

Your house and garden look in tip top condition Joy - so glad you are settling in well and happy - the photos look lovely

Janice said...

It looks lovely there, Joy. X

Emma@christmascupboard said...

Love love love your wisteria growing over your pegolia. I would really really love to have that growing in my garden but I dont think I get enough sun for it to thrive. It smells divine doesnt it xxxx

Eileen said...

Your garden is lovely. Can't wait to see how it all develops.

Katy said...

Oh, Joy! I love your new garden! It is very cheerful. The pergola is goregous and it will be even better when your flowers and veggies start to grow even more! I wish plants in my yard would grow faster... I miss the big trees from my family's old house in town. But on the bright side, we have lots of killdeer and meadowlarks out at our new house. I love the ivy on your pergola! Enjoy!
~Katy :)

Marion Starr said...

Joy you obviously don't have any possums in your garden like we do here in Sydney! They love tomatoes and parsley... in fact most veggies apart from some of the more aromatic herbs. Wisteria here quickly becomes rampant and shoots appear throughout the lawn and in the garden so we have to watch it or it would cover the house! Your garden looks like a very pleasant spot.

Busy Little Chicken said...

Ha Ha Joy, as soon as I read the title to this, I had the song going through my mind!! Your garden looks lovely, and your tomato plants are doing better than mine!! Looking forward to seeing how your other 'veggies' come on!! I'm still fighting the weeds and pigeons off of my allotment !!!!! :)

Heather Leavers said...

funnily enough I woke up this morning wondering about your move, I've been completely slack in my blog following lately. I'm VERY jealous of your wisteria. Our garden is mostly full of rabbit food, but the bunnies are so much fun to watch we don't mind too much. I've now learned (too late for some!) to stand our pots on logs to get them out of reach.