Pages

Sunday 7 April 2013

Place mats

Back in Autumn last year we did a bit of work in our kitchen, which you can read about here and here.

I wanted to make some placemats to use on the breakfast bar, and I spotted that my friend Tracy had some fabric that would do the job, which she very kindly gave to me. I cut them out ready for stitching then put them to one side. In the mean time we started to work on our new dining room, so I had curtains to make, chair seats to cover, and a million and one other things to do, and the kitchen placemats were forgotten - until a couple of days ago when I pulled them out and finished them off.

And here they are





The edging stitch is one of the 69 stitching options that I have on my lovely new sewing machine, this is number 30, isn't it pretty?

Many thanks to Tracy for the fabric.

I also have ten more placemats for the dining room, cut out of the leftover curtain fabric, which I'm hoping to stitch up over the next couple of days, and once GM has put up some picture hooks so we can hang a couple of pictures on the walls, I'll show the new dining room in its entirety.

8 comments:

Ellie Foster said...

Dear Joy
The placemats are lovely and cheerful and the starry edging really finishes them off beautifully. I'm looking forward to seeing the new completed dining room soon.
Best wishes
Ellie

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

A clever idea for the edging - cute placemats.

Mum said...

They look very pretty. Have you put anything between the 2 pieces of fabric?
Love from Mum
xx

Patricia said...

I love the edging on your placemats, they're so pretty.

joy said...

The placemats have a layer of some thickish curtain lining in between the two outers, just enough to thicken them up so they aren't too floppy.

Laura said...

What beautiful place mats!! They look fantastic!

Thank you very much for the comment on my blog. Fingers crossed that Spring is well & truly on its way.

xxx

Shirley said...

The place mats are great, yes that stitch is pretty, I am sure I have something very like that on my machine.

MBags said...

I love the placemats! That edge stitching really lifts them and finishes them off beautifully. I must take another look at the stitches on my machine...