Pages

Monday 2 May 2011

Urchfont Village

Each year, over the Spring Bank Holiday weekend, the villagers of Urchfont hold a scarecrow hunt. Its a great fun event for families and children, and also appeals to a few young at heart grown-ups too - including Rog and me. If you have been following my blog for a while you will know that I love Urchfont, we go there quite often, but for newer followers I'll give you a quick guided tour of the village before we embark on the scarecrow hunt itself.

Walking towards the centre of the village, with the pond on our left and the ticket office tent in front of us.



Every time I see this sign it makes me laugh - we very nearly bought a house at The Bottom, but it wasn't quite right for us, particularly the address!



The most important spot of the day, the beer tent, with great ales from the Pewsey Vale Brewery, my favourite was the Scarecrow Ale, specially made for this weekend.




Second most important watering hole, the Lamb Inn.




The pond




We were about 2/3rds of the way round when we stopped to eat our lunch, sitting on someone's brick wall.




This scene of rural decay caught my eye




As did this man in red




Rog said it felt just like being on the scene of an episode of Midsomer Murders, especially when the gendarmerie turned up (just to get their lunch from the burger tent!)




Having found all the scarecrows, and had a most enjoyable day, we make our way back to the car.




I hope you have enjoyed this little tour of the village, please come back later today to see the scarecrows.

1 comment: